January 11, 2021
MENTAL HEALTH SERVICES ARE PROVIDED FREE TO MEMBERS
If you work in construction, you may often feel like you are under a lot of pressure; it’s natural to feel stressed or anxious. But if you become overwhelmed by these feelings on a regular basis, this could start to negatively affect your health.
WHAT IS STRESS?
When we say something like “I’m stressed” or “this is stressful,” we might be talking about situations or events that put pressure on us. Or we may be talking about our reaction to being placed under pressure (that feeling when the demands placed on us are difficult to cope with).
Everyone is different; an issue that doesn’t bother you at all might cause someone else a lot of stress.
If you’re stressed, you may notice the physical signs at first, like tiredness, headaches or nausea. This happens because when we feel stressed mentally, our bodies physically release hormones called cortisol and adrenaline. This is how the body responds to a threat, and it can help you perform in emergency situations.
The problem is, if you’re regularly producing high levels of these hormones, it can make you feel physically unwell and can affect your health long term.
Stress is closely linked to your mental health because stress can cause mental health problems, such as anxiety, or make existing problems worse. If you experience anxiety, lots of everyday situations may be very stressful for you.
HOW CAN I MANAGE STRESS?
- Find out what triggers your feelings of stress
- Talk to friends and family
- Use relaxation techniques
- Get enough sleep
- Do physical activity
- Eat healthy
- Visit specialist websites and organizations
WHAT IS ANXIETY?
Anxiety is a word used to describe feelings of unease, worry and fear; including both the emotional and physical sensations we experience when we are worried or nervous.
Anxiety can feel different for different people; you may experience some of the following symptoms:
- Feeling tense, nervous, on-edge
- Having a sense of dread – fearing the worst
- Feeling your mind is very busy with thoughts
- Dwelling on negative experiences
- Thinking about situations over and over again
- Feeling restless and not being able to concentrate
- Feeling “numb”
- Tense muscles and headaches
- Feeling light-headed or dizzy
- Faster breathing
- Fast, thumping, or irregular heartbeat
- Elevated blood pressure
- Difficulty sleeping
- Panic attacks
HOW CAN I MANAGE ANXIETY?
- Talk to someone you trust
- Do physical exercise
- Do a breathing exercise
- Shift your focus
- Reassure yourself
- Eat healthy
- Keep a journal
- Attend a support group
- Talk to your family doctor
- Try complementary therapies
If you are experiencing a specific mental health problem. Here at CIRP, we’re here for you.
So give us a call at 604-521-8611 or toll-free 1-888-521-8611
By Jordan Cadrin
Construction Industry Rehabilitation Plan