CAREER OPPORTUNITY: Executive Director
Employer: BC Building Trades
Title: Executive Director
Location: New Westminster, B.C.
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Application deadline: Monday, September 16, 2019
The BC Building Trades Council (BCBT) is an umbrella organization for construction trade unions in British Columbia. The BCBT represents 25 Local Unions which are affiliated to 13 International Unions. There are over 35,000 highly skilled, unionized construction workers in BC.
BCBT is seeking an Executive Director to manage a strong staff team in the day to day business and oversee strategic planning, government relations and speak on behalf of the Council to the media and other key stakeholder organizations. The Executive Director reports to the Council President, Table Officers and Council. The position is based in New Westminster, British Columbia.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The Executive Director performs a wide range of duties, including:
- Lead strategic planning and program development;
- Provide leadership to the BCBT team of 6 staff;
- Represent the Council in dealings with the Provincial and Federal Government;
- Act as spokesperson for the Council in all public and media settings;
- Coordinate meetings of the Council’s Board of Directors and Table Officers;
- Maintain strong working relationships with Legislators, senior bureaucrats, union affiliates, and Indigenous Leaders;
- Oversee the development and execution of Council lobbying initiatives;
- Coordinate campaigns and other efforts within the provincial and federal labour movement;
- Attend relevant conferences, conventions, as authorized by the President;
- Coordinate outreach initiatives including charitable fundraising, political and community events;
- BCBT budget oversight.
The successful candidate will have proven leadership skills and be a strong communicator. Knowledge of the unionized construction trades is essential. The BC Building Trades has an extremely busy agenda in advancing unionized construction and progressive labour practices. The economic and political climate in British Columbia makes this an exciting time to build on our past success, and to maintain and grow work opportunities for our affiliates and their members. The position requires an individual with the energy, presence, integrity and judgment to seize opportunities to advance the Council’s agenda.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Diplomatic skills to sustain working relationships with politicians and political parties
- Team leadership skills to work with affiliates and develop and motivate Council staff
- Ability to exercise sound judgment
- Willingness to sustain a busy work and travel agenda
Compensation will be commensurate with experience and be highly competitive. An employment contract will be negotiated with the successful applicant.
Send Resume and cover letter to the attention of the Hiring Committee:
BC Building Trades, #207, 88 Tenth Street, New Westminster, BC, V3M 6H8, or email [email protected]
DEADLINE TO APPLY:
Close of day Monday, September 16, 2019
We appreciate all applications, but will contact only those applicants we wish to interview.