Our shared priority is the health, safety and welfare of our 35,000 members and signatory contractors.
Although the Public health Agency of Canada has assessed the public health risk associated with COVID-19 as low for the general population, we must all remain vigilant in order to protect public health.
Health Canada recommends the following procedures to increase proper hygiene and reduce the risk of infection or spreading infection to others:
- wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after using the washroom and when preparing food
- use alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available
- when coughing or sneezing:
- cough or sneeze into a tissue or the bend of your arm, not your hand
- dispose of any tissues you have used as soon as possible in a lined waste basket and wash your hands afterwards
- avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands
SYMPTOMS: The following are common symptoms of COVID-19:
- Dry cough
RISK: You are at a greater risk for COVID-19 if:
- You have recently traveled to a COVID-19 impacted area
- You have been in close contact with a confirmed or probable case of COVID-19
- You have been in close contact with a person with acute respiratory illness who has been to a COVID-19 impacted area
If you experience the symptoms above AND/OR you have a higher risk of developing COVID-19, please contact your health care provider. You can also call 811 to speak with a registered nurse.
**Please note that the federal government has announced changes to the Employment Insurance program waiving the mandatory one-week waiting period, allowing those who self-isolate or quarantine to apply for support immediately.
CLR and BCBT will continue to monitor the outbreak and provide guidance as directed by public health agencies.
BC Centre for Disease Control – http://www.bccdc.ca/about/news-stories/stories/2020/information-on-novel-coronavirus
World Health Organization – https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019