September 27, 2021
TODAY MARKS THE OFFICIAL LAUNCH OF the College of the BC Building Trades, a one-stop shop to explore, start, build and advance careers in the lucrative B.C. construction sector.
“We have more than a dozen training schools across the province, and now these brick and mortar facilities are coming together under one roof,” said Brynn Bourke, interim executive director of the BC Building Trades, which provides leadership to the College.
Bourke said the concept for the virtual campus started several years ago as a dream shared with SkillPlan, which provides technical skills training and a gamut of workforce development services to industry.
Education technology has now made that dream a reality.
Prospective students can visit the College of the BC Building Trades online, explore dozens of trades, learn about apprenticeship and entrance requirements, have their skills assessed and connect directly with training schools and campuses from Maple Ridge to Fort St. John.
Through a sophisticated learning portal, students can access all the tools necessary to start their career in the trades. They’ll be able to test their competencies in math, literacy, science and document use, register for preparatory courses, download learning guides, access a variety of learning resources and watch videos showcasing the many trades.
Students can also take a trades assessment module that assesses the learner’s areas of strength and areas needing improvement prior to entering into a desired apprenticeship.
“The College of the BC Building Trades provides all the support and mentorship necessary for apprenticeship success,” said Bourke.
She adds, “Our students learn their craft under the guidance of tradespeople with extensive industry experience and knowledge, complemented by unprecedented access to a suite of wraparound supports to help them succeed along their educational journey.”
With capital assets of nearly $50 million, which include facilities and state-of-the-art equipment, the new College of the BC Building Trades invests more than $31 million a year in student learning through instruction, support staff and educational resources.
Learn more about the College of the BC Building Trades at collegeofthebcbt.ca.
View a video introduction of the College of the BC Building Trades:
View a video showcasing all of the training opportunities within the College of the BC Building Trades:
- The College of the BC Building Trades is an association of training providers affiliated with the construction unions that belong to the BC Building Trades.
- We have capital assets of nearly $50 million, which include brick and mortar facilities across B.C. as well as state-of-the-art equipment to ensure our students are well-prepared for lifelong careers in the skilled construction trades.
- We invest more than $31 million a year in student learning through instruction, support staff and educational resources.
- We have 141 instructors and support staff and more than 8,300 apprentices and trainees in our system.
- Our facilities are located in Burnaby, Delta, Fort St. John, Port Coquitlam, Prince George, Surrey, Terrace, Vancouver and Victoria.
About the BC Building Trades
The voice of the unionized construction sector since 1967, the BC Building Trades comprises 25 affiliated trade unions chartered by 13 international unions. Our 40,000 members include pile drivers, cement masons, electricians, operating engineers, bricklayers, ironworkers, millwrights, insulators, carpenters and other skilled trades workers who support their families and invest in their communities by building this province.
For further information:
Director of Communications,
BC Building Trades
E: [email protected]